Through scientific research, several risk factors responsible for atherosclerosis have been found out.
Mani factors are :
- Factors Which can be controlled :
- Hypertension – High blood pressure
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Tobacco consumption or Smoking
- Stressful life and other psychosocial factors
2. Factors Which cannot be controlled :
- Heredity : If there is a history of premature (a male with less than 45 years or a female with less than 55 years.)
- Gender : Males and after menopause in females.
- Age : Males of more than 55 years of age and females of more than 65 years of age.
More risk factors, the higher the possibility of atherosclerosis and heart attack. Exceptions may be there. Even a person with 3 – 4 risk factors may not suffer from a heart attack and a person without a single risk factor may get a heart attack.