Introduction : Due to atherosclerosis, a layer of cholesterol gets deposited inside coronary arteries and they become weak, narrow and brittle with reduced elasticity. High level of bad cholesterol (total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol) is an important factor responsible for this. Scientific researches made over the last 20 or more years have proved that the higher the proportion of bad cholesterol in the blood, higher is the possibility of heart attack and blockage in coronary arteries.
Effects : These medicines inhibit the HMG CoA reductase enzyme in the liver and slows down the synthesis of bad cholesterol. Thus, the proportion of this bad cholesterol in blood reduces. Triglyceride and VLDL cholesterol also reduced to some extent by this medicine. Good cholesterol (HDL cholesterol) either remains unaffected or increases to a very little extent. Besides this, inflammation of coronary arteries reduce, normal consistency of blood is maintained and elasticity of coronary arteries is retained. Regular use of this medicine reduces the possibility of heart attack, Strock and death by 20-35%. This medicine has registered its place amongst revolutionary inventions of science.
- Immediately after heart attack
- Stable or unstable angina
- If LDL cholesterol is more than 160-190 mg %
- Diabetic patients, whose LDL cholesterol is between 70-190 mg %
- Anyone With sufficiently high risk of heart attack and stroke
Various Risk Score Systems and Risk calculators are developed to define an individual’s risk. A calculators indicating the risk heart attack, stroke or death due to them for an individual in the next 10 years, has been developed in the year 2013 by American College of Cardiology. It is easily available by writing “ACC/AHA ASCVD Risk calculator” on Google search on the net. A person can know his/her risk in just 1-2 minutes by entering information like, age, gender, blood pressure, total cholesterol, use of medicine for blood pressure if any, presence of diabetes and habit of tobacco smoking in the computer / smartphone.
- Beside this, a doctor can advise a person to take ‘statin’ on the basis of information obtained through investigations like CT Calcium Score, serum level of hSCRP, history of heart attack at premature age in the family, Ankle Brachial Index, etc.
Note : There are innumerable benefits of this medicine over and above reduction in cholesterol. This is the reason why it is compulsory to give high does of this medicine for the entire life to the patient of heart attack or angina, even if his/her cholesterol is normal or has become normal after use of this medicine.
Tab Atorvastatin : 10 – 80 mg : Once in a day
Tab Rosuvastatin : 5-40 mg : Once in a day
Tab Simvastatin : 5-40 mg : Once in a day, at night
Tab Pravastatin : 10-40 mg : Once in a day, at night
Side Effects :
- Effect on liver : Quite uncommon, can be known through increased level of SGPT in blood.
- Muscular pain, feeling tired, pain in bones.
- Diabetes if high dose is taken for a long period.But protective effects on heart and brain far outweigh this risk.
- According to scientific research, this medicine does not cause cancer or psychiatric diseases.