- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors (ACE Inhibitors)
- Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARB)
Introduction : Renin-Angiotensin – Aldosterone System (RAAS) is an endocrine system predominantly located in the kidneys. Angiotensin hormone increases blood pressure and causes serious damage to the cells of the heart, arteries and brain. Aldosterone increases blood pressure by increasing salt (sodium) in the body. If this system is overactive, it damages heart – kidneys – brain in the long run. Chronic RAAS over activation is believed to be the chief reason for high blood pressure, heart attack, paralysis and impaired kidney functioning in majority.
Effects : The effects of Renin – Angiotensin – Aldos – terone hormones are greatly reduced by both the above-mentioned medicines. As a result, blood pressure is brought under control, arteries become more elastic and possibility of damage to heart, kidney and brain reduces. These medicines improve lifespan and quality of lifespan and quality of life of patients with heart attack or heart failure.
When to use ?
- Weak heart : Heart failure
- After heart attack
- Stable Angina
- Unstable Angina
- Hypertension : This is the best medicine for treatment of high blood pressure in relatively younger people.
- Weak kidney : Kidney failure
Dose : ACE Inhibitors :
Tab Captopril : 6.25 – 25 mg : 2 – 3 times a day
Tab Enalapril : 2.5 – 20 mg : 2 times a day
Tab Lisinopril : 2.5 – 20 mg : Once in a day
Tab Ramipril : 1.25 – 10 mg : Once in a day
Tab Perindopril : 2 – 8 mg : Once in a day
Tab Losartan : 25 – 50 mg : 2 times a day
Tab Valsartan : 20 – 160 mg : 2 times a day
Tab Telmisartan : 20 – 80 mg : Once in a day
Tab Olmesartan : 10 – 40 mg : Once in a day
Side effects :
- Dry cough (only due to ACE inhibitors).
- Increase in Potassium.
- Impairment in kidney function (uncommon and transient effect).
- Excessive drop in blood pressure, while taking medicine for the first time.
- This medicine can have dangerous side effects on the child in the womb. Therefore, pregnant ladies or women willing to conceive should never take these medicines.