- Diet : Take light, nutritious, easily digestible diet of your choice in the beginning at an interval of every few hours. Do not eat too much at a time; you will not be able to eat even. Use of ghee – oil is not prohibited for first 1-2 months. Fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, pulses and milk are quite essential. You can return to normal diet after 1 – 1.05 months.
- Exercise : Take a walk of 50-100 steps 3-5 times a day. You can take a walk outside home after 15 – 20 days. If possible, always walk with someone and on a safe road. Keep on gradually increasing the distance. Reach a distance of 3 to 6 km per day at the end of three months. Go for stretching and muscle strengthening exercises after 15 – 30 days. Join cardiac rehabilitation programme for best results.
- Bath : Generally, after reaching home a full body bath can be taken. Shower or help of another person can be taken as per requirement. One should not worry if the stitch site becomes wet.
- To Drive a Vehicle : Jerks experienced while self driving a vehicle create hindrances in joining of chest bones. Avoid self driving at least for 2 – 3 months. There is no objection in sitting in a vehicle driven by someone else. Take special care to see that you do not get jerks.
- Sex Life : Generally, if one can climb two floors comfortably (this is mostly possible 4 – 8 weeks after the surgery), one can also have sex life. In the beginning, it’s better that patient accepts passive role.
- Sleep : 6 to 8 hours of sleep at night and 1 – 2 hours of sleep during the day quite essential. It will be good if patient can sleep lying straight during the first month. Better to avoid lying on one or prone position.
- Medicines : The patient should take heart medicines regularly as suggested at the time of discharge. The patient is also given medicines like anti acidity, laxatives, sleeping pills and painkillers in the beginning.
- To Resume Work : This is decided on the basis of many factors such as, efficiency of patient’s heart, overall fitness of his mind and body, type of work done by the patient, etc. After 4 – 6 weeks of the surgery one can resume office work or light work, may be for 2 – 6 hours daily. After completion of 2 – 3 months, the work can be done as before. Avoid strenuous and laborious work for up to completion 2 – 3 months.
Bypass surgery is a wonderful gift invented by medical science for mankind, which adds years to life and life to the years. A person can live cheerfully for many years after bypass surgery by adopting a healthy lifestyle, proper medicines and regular medical checkup.